Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 10 2005 02:26 AM
Re: 937 mb!

Kissy I'm posting this just in case you need the info.

If Dennis tracks to the west of you, please review the civil defense maps to find an area near you that you can go to ride out the storm surge.

Here is the link:

http://www.ms.gov/frameset.jsp?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msema.org%2Findex.htm

Page down and click on Evacuation Maps Jackson Co,
then on that new page, at the bottom, maps for both Jackson Co. and Pascagoula.

Then, on the same page, under links, go to Hurricane Evacuation Study, then click on Mississippi study, go down to the Surge Maps paragraph, click on MAPS button,
this will bring you to maps for 1) storm surge, 2) evacuation zone, and 3) evacuation route maps in PDF format which means you'll be able to zoom in.

Note:

Worst case - eye to the west - 20 ft storm surge:

In the western part of the co, it appears that the land right around the I-10 route is above even a CAT 5 storm surge, but only right near the I-10. All south of I-10 will be submerged, and right at the county line, a line of land north of I-10 will be submerged. No buildings there however, just forest for the most part.

In the center part of the county, I-10 will be over submerged land and may not be above water.

In the eastern part of the county, all the land around I-10 will be submerged, even with only a Cat 2.

With a CAT 4 storm surge of 20 ft, ALL of Pascagoula will be submerged. There will be no safe place to go. With CAT 3, very little ground will not be under water, a couple blocks here and there.

If the storm tracks east of you, then you only have to worry about high winds (and we are talking 140mph sustained winds if MOB is hit directly).

Be safe.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center