doug
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 11 2005 02:14 PM
Re: Tropical Depression Five Forms In Central Atlantic

The sniping at the models for soon to be Emily has already begun and chief antagonist Joe Bastardi has once again announced today that Emily will stay south of the islands and be a Texas event...he is using some guidance that has proven so far to be on the left side of things.
One thing I will say about the models for Dennis...NHC did great on the locations throughout and poor on the intensity..
As some will recall I as on the right side all the way and I am dismayed really that more attention was not placed on that by local planners and officials.
This storm reached a point about 165 miles sw to my location and then reintensified from mid range cat 2 to 4. The posibillity of a more northward turn was still realisic. IF that had occured that storm would have traversed the coast abreast of my loction about 75-90 miles off shore and not 185.
The chances then of more sever coastal flooding and higher and persistent winds would have existed and the evacuations would have been higher level, and by then the weather was already dangerous at times. the models performed well on this storm, but then we have last summer's records to use. in our comparisons.
It is a very fine line as to just how much information to get out and when to do it. The peninsula is really VERY vulnerable to quick last minute alteration in the course of these very powerful storms...There may not be a good answer.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center