Clark
(Meteorologist)
Thu Jul 14 2005 06:07 PM
Re: not due west...a wobble

A haboob is a specific type of wind event. I don't know the particulars beyond that, but I imagine they are probably available from a Google search.

Storm Hunter -- those flights are based out of the CAMEX/TCSP field program current going on down in Costa Rica. The NRL website has a bunch of 5xL.TCSP listings on their website, which are special regions geard towards assisting in forecasting for their field missions. The primary mission is to fly into convection and developing tropical systems to gather information for future research; the hurricane task is secondary. They flew into Dennis during its formative stages; it remains to be seen as to whether or not they fly into the mature Emily. However, since they have the planes down there, I imagine they will fly them. There is a group from FSU down there, primarily for forecasting tasks...some of my friends as well, thus the connection to the program.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center