Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Jul 23 2005 02:21 PM
Re: "It's 1954 all over again"

Quote:

is it 1954 all over again?

No, because it is 2005.

Sorry, I had to reply, even though I am very much not a met.

There are so many variables, that even if *all* weather conditions across a large region at one moment in time were similar to a moment in the past, because of the nature of chaotic systems, there would be no correlation to what would happen in the next moment and the next moment after that, much less for a period of succeeding days.

Molecules of air and water do not have a historical memory...they only respond to the forces around them at that moment.

While it makes sense to talk about generalities -- i.e. El Nino has a specific effect in general on overall hurricane development, it is not logical to reference a previous hurricane or a previous hurricane season and say that tomorrow will be like that.

Why mention 1954 anyway? Isn't it just because of the large number of deaths caused by Hazel -- something that would be rather unlikely considering that advance warnings of hurricanes has improved considerably since 1954. In other words, isn't it just a way to sensationalize and dramatize and cause anxiety (or perhaps a thrill depending on your nature), much in the same way the "New Orleans is doomed" scenario was brought up several times during Dennis' approach to the northern gulf coast.

JB is entertaining and fun to watch. I think this is mostly about entertainment and not science, and using a modicum of valid scientific knowledge to leverage into the realm of fantasy.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center