Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Jul 23 2005 08:48 PM
Re: Attack of the trolls...

I hope someone can help me out here. I've posted a lot but am obviously quite the newbie, and have not really understood what I have seen in the sat images for Franklin from practically day one, which is a little frustrating. I am trying very hard to read the sat images. So please tell me if this is correct.

I can see something spinning counterclockwise to the west over the FL and that is a low, right? Then to the N is some kind of boundary? It is less distinct now than some hours ago - what is that.

It looks like, where Franklin is, I am seeing two different layers of clouds spinning 'round instead of one, not exactly on top of each other. Why is that. How are folks determining where the center is and the direction, if this is the case. Is it a matter of being very skilled at looking at the sat images? Am I wrong in seeing what appears to be a move to the S for one layer of clouds and a move to the E for another lower layer?

At least I did see one thing - the transverse banding Clark was talking about. I looked it up on the web and then did see it on the sat image. I guess cirrus are the easiest clouds to recognise.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center