Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu Jul 28 2005 03:22 AM
Re: models

If Long Island was about 400 miles south, it would be the most dangerous place in the world (outside of Bangledesh of course) for storms. Fact is, it isn't. And based on my understanding of plate-techtonics, it will never be. As noted above, the last epic storm was some 67 years ago. That's a lot of time. And while it's certainly possible that a major could hit up that way (has before, will again) in a given season, the dynamics required are pretty rare.

I agree with the "relax and enjoy the ride" scenario presented by Ryan. Frankly, I don't understand how people could be into the tropics and then act like a non-major would be the end of the world. I also understand that some people are paranoid by nature and drawn by their fears to storm forums. But the vast majority of us enjoy tropical storms and minimal canes despite the potential hazards and minor inconveniences they bring. I guess it's just part of being a freak of a different nature. But I'm more of a sitting duck than anyone on this forum, and the last thing I'm going to do is come down on anyone else for hoping to see some tropical action. JMO.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center