Clark
(Meteorologist)
Thu Jul 28 2005 05:51 AM
Re: models

As an aside, XTRP is just extrapolated motion. It is basically the recent motion of the wave extrapolated linearly to 5 days. I wouldn't pay it any mind.

In the tropics, Franklin is hanging on -- shouldn't get to hurricane status like was insinuated earlier today, but might strengthen a little more. These sheared storms are difficult to classify, even given Dvorak estimates, because we don't have recon going out there into the storm. QuikSCAT and microwave imagery helps for winds and structure, but even they have their limitations. It could be stronger than the satellite appearance if the past trends when recon flights were out there still hold true, or it could be weaker. Nevertheless, 50mph seems about right.

92L has seen the convection consolidate a bit on its northern edge with a corresponding tightening of the inner-core rotation. It's getting closer to being able to develop, but it's not there yet. Give it another couple of days. It still has some dry air to deal with on its western periphery, getting ingested from the SW into the main part of the feature, and is in a region of relatively high wind shear. This should weaken in the medium-range as the wave moves west. Any motion should keep it moving west or just slightly north of due west, potentially affecting the islands in a day or two.

93L is on the downswing convection-wise again, but the mid-level feature remains. If it can spit up some convection and keep it, as I've been maintaining for a couple of days now, it could get going at a pretty decent clip. It doesn't have as much model support, but I chalk that up to its small size plus the feature being primarily at the midlevels as opposted to the surface. As long as it doesn't get caught up in the flow around 92L, it should start to fire up in a day or so. Thursday isn't looking likely for a categorized storm, but I'll be mildly surprised if we don't see a depression out of this by sometime over the weekend. It too should head west, likely ending up as a Caribbean system in time.

It's way too early to tell what either 92L or 93L might bring towards the US. There is a trough about to reach to eastern coast and a couple of upper-lows in the SW Atlantic and near the Yucutan; this may or may not change over the next 5 days. The trough may linger near the Gulf coast, always bringing the threat for some development with it, but I'm not convinced it'll be strong enough to get down there -- it's already starting to elongate east-west with little forcing in the western US/upstream to push the southern end along. Still, it remains something to watch, both for the Gulf Stream and Gulf itself.

Some energy is trying to slip out of the trough currently to the north of 92L, but I'm not sure anything is going to be able to cut off in the ridge and develop. We'll know by later today what's going to happen there, if anything.

More as events warrant...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center