Brad in Miami
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Jul 29 2005 12:29 AM
Re: Franklin Reintensifies, 92L Bears Watching

Guppie:

Re: the shark theory: A large percentage of every year's worldwide shark bites (msome years I believe it's more than, or close to, 50% of the worldwide total) occur in the summer in Volusia County, Florida, in and around Daytona Beach. A lot of factors contribute to this (the number of people in the water, the temperature, the rough surf, the proximity of the gulf stream, the presence of bait fish, etc.), but if your theory were correct, then many hurricanes every year would go towards Volusia County. Perhaps unfortunately, every few years the press highlights stories of these bites (most are treatable at shore or with a few stitches - accidental bites by sharks, often baby nurse sharks, looking for food, not humans, and mistakenly biting people who happen to be in the vicinity of their food) and many people interpret it to mean there has been an extraordinary number of bites in general, and an even more extraordinary number in that area. But also unfortunately, having a lot of shark bites in Volusia County in the summer is basically normal.

Interesting theory, and I'm not one to judge if it has merit generally, but I don't think the Daytona bites can be viewed as an abnormality.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center