MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Thu Aug 04 2005 04:33 PM
Tropical Depression Nine Forms in Atlantic

8:30 AM 5 Aug Update
Tropical Depression Nine is holding at its current intensity, and probably will remain a tropical depression today becuase of the water temperature.

The best future track keeps it moving generally westnorthwest. Beyond that, it is still most likely to turn out to sea thankfully, but this is not a sure thing. We'll still have to watch it if it does not. Try back in 3 days or so to find out more.

Read the blogs for more discussion.

Original Update
A rather large distrubance in the central Atlantic has now formed into Tropical Depression 9. Yet another record for earliest in a single season.
I don't expect TD#9 to strengthen too much in the Short term. Once it becomes a tropical storm, it will get the name Irene. As food for thought, each of the last 4 "I" storms has been retired -- Iris, Isidore, Isabel, and Ivan -- but of course, each storm is unique in its own right. It will be worth watching as beyond a few days it has the chance to reach minimal hurricane strength.

The track takes it generally toward the west, with a turn more towards the north likely in a few days. How much the ridge builds back in behind Harvey will be key as to whether or not the future Irene recurves harmlessly out to sea or turns back more towards the west. Currently, I see more that would suggest it would move out to sea rather than become a true threat to land. However, this far out, we'll be watching for the persistance with the system. Clark has more on TD 9 & Harvey in the Met blogs below.

Plenty of time to watch this one folks, and I'll keep looking for ways to keep it away from land, which I see plenty of now.

Event Related Links
StormCarib hurricane reports from observers in the Islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports

Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms

Harvey
Animated Model Plot of Harvey
Model Plot of Harvey (Graphic from the South Florida Water Management District)

TD#9
Animated Model Plot of TD#9
Model Plot of TD#9 (Graphic from the South Florida Water Management District)

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center