Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Sun Aug 07 2005 01:31 AM
Models and TD 9

It's been my impression that models generally don't perform well with tropical depressions. In the sense that the models generally don't handle the relatively weak pressure and small size involved in a weak system. They can be good at picking out possible development, but often start creating systems out of thin air (though you can use those systems to point point *possible* activity).

Once a storm has developed, then the models can perform better with direction and where the storm will end up. TD 9 is a great example of that. The system is being sheared, but the shear isn't killing the storm, in fact, I'd be willing to say TD 9 was and still does have tropical storm force winds. So long as the system has developed storms, and have a good LLC, they're pretty durn hard to kill off unless they run into land or cooler waters. (that's not a scientific fact, just my observations)

Storms can open up into a wave, but that's actually fairly uncommon.

I think the sats are in eclipse or keyholed so we're not going to get a new pic for a little while, but the last fix I had on the center was just a hair due west of the blow up of storms at 3:15. We'll know more in the morning, though I still think it's a tropical storm

-Mark

PS whoever developed this IR-RGB enhanced loop deserves a cookie, it's great, because you can still actually pick out the LLC if you pay attention....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-rgb-loop.html

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center