Steve H1
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Aug 08 2005 04:39 PM
Re: Irene Downgrade?

Still "plenty of time" is a bit of an understatement LIP, remember its only August 8th. We've waited many seasons in which we didn't have a storm until mid-August!! Lots ahead of us I'm afraid. TD #9, ghost of Irene, may do some more haunting before she is done. Latest visibles shows her heading on a due west course and she should vasilate between west and westnorthwest during the next 24 - 36 hours. Yes, I did see JBs video this morning, and I believe he is correct by and large, with his idea of the TD sliding underneath the trough. They are both relatively weak systems, and Harvey moved NE a little quicker than expected, which should weaken the troughs effect further. When (if) it gets beyond the trough things get interesting. There is an upper level trough that is moving through the Bahamas that may attempt to get down to the surface before running into the mid atlantic in a couple of days. Meanwhile, ridging should develop over Florida and shift northward up the peninsula as the ULL in the Bahamas moves NNW toward the mid atlantic. If TD #9 misses the connection with the trough tomorrow night/Wednesday, its possible that she could affect the southeast states over the weekend. Its possible - lots of uncertainty since she could get deflected to the north also with all the mid-atlantic confusion. Regardless of which scenario plays out, I think conditions will become more favorable for her to strengthen once she gets past the trough and beneath some ridging. Again, this seems to be whats on the table right now - everything could change this afternoon, so we'll see if she continues to stairstep to the north and out by Wednesday or slip under and make a beeline toward the west. Cheers!!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center