Ron Basso
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Aug 08 2005 10:55 PM
Re: strength versus track

Quote:

I forget where I heard it, it may have been from JB, but since this depression was starting to form I've heard that if it stayed weak it would move more to the west whereas quick development would make it easier for it to be caught up in the trough and move north. This seems to be JB's continuing thought process as well. Is Irene's weakening (assuming she doesn't fall apart entirely) sort of a bad thing in that respect? Is this still the case? I'd rather have a strong storm moving out to sea than a wave moving our direction that will hit favorable conditions as it goes. I'm hoping that it still ends up a fish spinner.

You're pretty much on track with your reasoning. Less developed storms are more shallow systems and thus they are steered more by the low level wind fields. In the tropics, these wins are easterly. As a system deepens, the upper level environment has a more profound effect. Most of our numerical models strongly weight the upper level features in determining track. The models don't usually do a good job with intensity, so if a storm weakens suddenly (or strenghtens) they take a bit of time to catch up. With Irene, along with Franklin and Harvey, because these systems were relatively weak and sheared, track forecasting is more difficult.

The NHC in the 5 PM discussion points out the problems with the long range guidance with a weak storm (Irene). I think JB probably thinks the storm will remain weak and not turn NW. We shall see.

AND THERE IS A LITTLE MORE CONFIDENCE IN THIS TRACK NOW
SINCE SOME OF THE MODELS THAT WERE EASTERN OUTLIERS THIS MORNING...
SUCH AS THE UKMET AND NOGAPS... HAVE SHIFTED WESTWARD.
THEREFORE... MODELS ARE COMING INTO BETTER AGREEMENT THAT A SYSTEM
OF MODERATE TROPICAL STORM STRENGTH WILL MOVE WEST-NORTHWESTWARD
ALONG THE SOUTHERN PERIPHERY OF THE LOWER/MID LEVEL SUBTROPICAL
RIDGE. THE SLOW MOTION SHOWN AT THE END OF THE OFFICIAL FORECAST
IS INDICATIVE OF THE GREAT UNCERTAINTY LATE IN THE PERIOD...WHEN
THE SPREAD IN THE MODELS IS STILL QUITE SIGNIFICANT

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center