Brad in Miami
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 09 2005 02:36 PM
Re: Irene...

Noname:

Don't know if you were addressing me, but I suppose I meant to say I could see 2 areas that potentially were the LLC, but I would not be surprised if I were incorrect and neither was it (or even, as Rabbit suggested, that the LLC was falling apart).

Basically, in the earlier visible satellite images, I did not think it was possible to pick out the LLC, but there did appear to be - and continuity would suggest - some turning close to the main area of convection, just on the west side of it. But in the last hour or so before I typed that message, there appeared to be another area of turning (again, this is based on just a few frames from the vis satellite, so it could be artefact or the mlc or a short-lived vortice) a bit to the NE of the area which continuity (i.e., an almost due west motion from the 11am advisory) would have suggested.

Quite frankly, looking at the vis satellite images now, you could convince me that a different area, sort of in the middle of the two I was looking at before, is either the mlc or llc.

All that this might demonstrate is my lack of skill in finding it, but I suspect the center is not well-defined (although I'd be surprised if it's opening into a wave, given its tenacity before; the previously well-defined surface circulation; and what still appears to be well-defined turning, either at the mid-levels or lower levels) and that the only way to get a good estimate of its position right now would be Quickscat. Of course, until a plane or ship goes in there, that will still be just an estimate.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center