tpratch
(Moderator)
Tue Aug 09 2005 08:20 PM
Re: Irene...

Actually, I remember quite a lot of folks evacuating for Jeanne after having ridden out Frances.

I hadn't caught on the loop soon enough, so I finally caved in to my wife's pleas for board removal. 2 days afterwards, I put them back up again *sigh*

I'm in a much better house for riding out these storms now, but because I have children, if a Cat 3+ comes towards the Space Coast, I'm going to be boarding up and taking off.

I agree that most mets didn't mention the chance of Jeanne heading our way (much less making landfall within 17 miles of Frances' eye) because we had just seen Frances, and most of us were not mentally ready for another storm, even if we were physically prepared (my old next door neighbor still hadn't taken down most of his plywood by May when we finally moved ).

Far too early to start preparing any specific location for Irene's arrival, simply because there's too much that could play out to make her nothing but a fish spinner. The next 3-4 days will do much to solidify her plans and there are many folks in Florida who, after last year, are already prepared for everything - we just need the go ahead to put up boards

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center