LI Phil
(User)
Thu Aug 11 2005 11:53 AM
Re: Irene

Quote:

i gotta tell you bob, anything is possible right now but i think its safe to say we will have a EC landfall storm/hurricane the questions are whjere and how strong..unless someone thinks they know this stuff already..i mean just the 1938 hurricane hit long island not RI..but LI has not seen and may not see a storm that bad again..ever..lets hope not

-Ryan

ps-good luck east coasters

I wasn't going to comment of any of last night's posts, but this one i couldn't let go...ryan...first off, the '38 cane (which was probably a once-in-150 year storm) DID affect Rhode Island, causing 20' flooding in downtown providence, and the strongest wind gust ever recorded at the Blue Hill observatory in NE...pretty much anything that affects LI affects NE as well

1938 LI Express

secondly, while this storm has the potential to affect LI, most of our storms occur more towards the middle of September and later, although earlier storms have occurred...

LI cane history

all this being said...it is WAY TO EARLY to be looking this far down the road...everyone on the EC needs to still be vigilant, although it looks like Fl is out of the woods...just pay attention over the next couple of days as many scenarios are still in play (including completely missing the east coast)...also, intensity will be very hard to predict this far out...climo and warm waters would support a strong cane, but this alone will not guarantee any such development.

pay attention to what the NHC says...they are the official source and they are the ones you should listen to; only use anything you may read on here as "additional" thoughts

i'll post more on irene later

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center