WeatherNLU
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 27 2005 01:14 AM
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch

I think people are focusing too much on every little whim and wobble. Just lean back from the screen and look at the overall motion of the system, it's STILL towards the WSW, ever so slightly. The motion is probably 265 or 270, and it's easily seen in the fact that the storm is still losing latitude. 5PM was at 24.8 and the 8PM put it at 24.7. I would love to see a northerly component to Katrina, but I don't see it yet. The more south and west it moves, the more under the gun we become here in New Orleans. Too many close calls here, I'm just hoping it's not our turn. It's amazing how many people here didn't even know there was a hurricane in the Gulf. It scares me to think that we might have to start an evacuation tomorrow that gives less than 36 hours before conditions begin to deteriate.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center