Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 27 2005 01:14 AM
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch

The old guy is Nash Roberts. He rightfully retired to peace and quiet after the passing of his wife. He was an icon albeit overrated at times.

Anyway, I just wanted to check in and clear a few things up. Don't track centers with long range radar. The apparent move "NNW" that was being debated on S2K and CFHC was only on the long range radar and apparently had something to do with the angle of the antenna. It was clear via recon vortex fixes and short range radar that Katrina was still moving south of due west. As of the 8pm advisory, she's further south still (yet I haven't checked the reported "dive" that some commented on).

Everything's cool here. I got my wife and kids a hotel in Jackson, MS for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be able to cancel that tomorrow if my dad is able to hook up with his older sister in Alexandria and head up there as well. I plan on staying (as usual). No telling what Katrina's going to do now that she's continuing to move slowly west of south. I agree with all previous posters that said anyone from Panama City to Brownsville need to still be on alert with a possible concentration of Morgan City, LA to Pensacola. I've got a 12 pack and a big ole bag of ice for the next couple of days. If things continue to look pessimistic (and I hear the early 00z guidance is even farther west), then I'll probably be heading to the store tomorrow for plenty more. I might grab me some Stoli's or something since Katrina is a Ruskie name and it would be apropos, but I don't like it that cheap most of the time.

Anyway, I'm just watching and waiting for the next set of models, views and such while chainsmoking.

One last thing as I mentioned elsewhere - if Bastardi and Stewart are correct, the Gulf Coast is facing its greatest threat since Camille. Think about that for a minute. JB thinks 910-920 isn't out of the question and that a true catastrophe is possible. Of course we all know Joe gets hyper over severe threats so hopefully he's overplaying it. But combined with Stewart's call for a potential 4 in the 5pm NHC Discussion, well we all need to stop and pause about that.

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center