Tropics Guy
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 27 2005 01:17 AM
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch

Well, finally got my power back since losing it around 4:30pm yesterday and was just catching up on all the posts that I missed. There was about 4 hours of strong winds here with a peak gust reported at Port Everglades (about a mile from my house) of 92MPH, which I believe was recorded on the back-side of the cane. A lot of people down here seemed to be caught off guard on the strength of the storm as it went through, especially Miami-Dade county, even though it was still just a Cat 1 storm. There's a lot of tree damage mostly, but I lost a lot of shingles also, and there's a few dangling traffic lights near my house.
The biggest problem down here is the 1 million people still with out power, and the lack of gasoline. The only station near my house that had gas had a line 15-20 cars deep. And all this from a Cat 1 storm, I really feel for the people on the Gulf coast that will feel the brunt of Katrina when she hits as a possible Cat 3 or maybe even Cat 4 .
Stay safe everyone!!

TG

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center