Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Fri Aug 26 2005 11:40 PM
Re: Update

Quote:

Can you give some more information on that? The strong winds would be offshore, and the storm surge mainly to the east of the eye, in MS. The main source of any rising water in the NO area would be the low barometric pressure, not a storm surge as such. Note: the strongest winds are always to the east of the eye, and with the current predicted landfall would all occur in MS, not LA - except for the very outlying delta areas in the Gulf well to the SE of New Orleans.

I'm reading through news articles from last year and not seeing where I saw that about NOs. As I remember: The storm surge, the result of the low pressure, in a large enough storm extends far enough away from the eye that a near miss can still cause a dangerous surge level. With a strong hurricane, winds from the north east through southeast (those that would happen throughout the north quadrant of the storm) would back water up the bay north of NOs, increasing the Louisiana/Mississippi coast. This is why a near miss is almost more deadly in the way of a storm surge for NOs then a direct hit. The extra threat with a direct hit is, of course, the eye wall.

P.S. - Don't quote me! I'm not an expert on this
P.P.S. - I'm also not that familiar with land features in that area. I'd have to pull out my Geology text to get details

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center