Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 27 2005 05:04 AM
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch

Quote:

I think we've boiled this down to issues of communication and semantics, not science. I took issue with your statement that with a Cat 4 or 5 that "3 or 4 miles inland -- no devastation".

Agreed...I should have explained better (or read the original post with half a brain). I think I've been here too long today and I really ran that one into the ground!

Getting back on track, just looked at the wv loop, and it is amazing how far SW she continues to track - the center may even be S of Key West now. And I also can't wait to hear what the recon finds, as the sat signature is very impressive. On Key West long-range loop the storm has finally gained much more symmetry even if it doesn't appear from radar that strong convective bands totally surround the eye (could this be a function of the distance from the radar?) In fact on both radar and satellite it now has that compacted buzzsaw or donut-shaped signature indicative of strong storms.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center