LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sun Aug 28 2005 02:00 PM
question on Superdome.. please explain

I've heard this before and seen it used as the last chance place to go but don't understand how it works.

Wouldn't the Superdome fill up with water? Wouldn't the water inside (if it does happen) put a lot of stress on it structurally? The city has obviously done models and checked this out but confirm to me that if the city does flood.. the field and parts of the Superdome would flood as well?

Imagine others around the country are trying to figure this out as well and wondering .. so I am asking.

Also.. amazed that people are being told to go east to get out of town because west I-10 is a mess as are roads going north. This has to be the first time I have heard people being told to get out and go towards an area under Hurricane Warning. Imagine it shows the total desperation to get people out of New Orleans.. even into the frying pan out of the Bowl.

Thanks for explaining how this plan was devised to use SuperDome.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center