Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sun Aug 28 2005 07:21 PM
Re: Category 5 Katrina Winds to 175MPH

I would take dynamical model intensity forecasts with a grain of salt at this point. Many of them have a spin-up time needed to accurately represent the storm and can thus weaken it more than realistically expected/probable in the first 12-24hr of the model cycle. With Katrina near 24hr from landfall, the model forecasts of intensity become increasingly less reliable from here on out. Granted, it should weaken somewhat before landfall,

The trough in Texas, to me at least, appears to be narrowing in scope and having a hard time approaching the storm. As it moves inland and weakens, the trough should capture it, but it's going to be a tough call as to how much it affects the storm now. Note that these narrow troughs tend to not impact storms in anything but a positive manner; it is the classic setup for rapid intensification or is a marker of such a cycle that has already passed. Here, it's likely the latter.

Needless to say, anywhere +/- 50mi of New Orleans is very much still under the gun for a direct impact. For those who missed it earlier, a summary of the potential impacts for many areas can be found on the front page in my most recent Met Blog.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center