Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Aug 29 2005 10:36 PM
Re: Katrina Aftermath

News about Jackson County.

I haven't heard from my brother that I've been so worried about today, but after about 8 hours of assuming the worst, it dawned on me that logically that couldn't be the case.

His wife was working emergency management on the other side of the county, and if she had not been able to get hold of him then somebody would have checked it out around early evening, as soon as the winds got lower and they could get a boat over to the other side of the county. And if something bad had happened I reasoned she would have found a way to notify somebody in the family. So he must be ok, since we haven't heard anything this evening.

I don't know how I got so upset that I didn't think about this in the first place.

Now the 2nd brother, the one no one ever hears from, we now find out that he evacuated to Mobile with his wife at the last minute and they stayed with someone they knew, and then came back to Jackson County as soon as driving was possible (probably using that back road that you can take to the airport in Mobile that only the locals know about, along the pecan grove and those oddball cotton fields). He was able to call out by cell phone and called brother #4 in TX.

His house up in the county doesn't flood (around Helena I think), although he had trees down.

He then went sightseeing in his Durango, and to check out everyone else's house.

Apparently the water had started to recede as soon as the wind did.

My brother that I haven't heard from (brother #1), his house is still in four feet of water, but it had been almost totally underwater earlier in the day, so that shows that the water has already receeded at least six feet. This house is just south of Ingalls Ave.

The house that my mother and brother #3 live in, in Moss Point, is probably flooded as well, but they couldn't get to it because of all the roads there are still flooded too deep to drive an SUV through.

A lot of the county is still flooded, and that it was really bad, and the house we grew up in was standing in about four feet of water (Pinecrest area).

So pretty much everything south of Hwy 90 in Pascagoula did get serious flooding, as well as other places north of 90, if they were near a bayou or the estuary, and sounds like some of Moss Point. No news about the other side of the county (he couldn't get over there).

Plus I imagine all the places that always flood anyway, such as Bayou La Batre.

No one could get down close to Beach Blvd. There are some wonderful homes there including some that are more than 100 years old. But if there were waves with the flood, which I am sure there must have been, I can only assume that beautiful Beach Blvd is wiped out.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center