Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 30 2005 01:26 AM
Re: Katrina Aftermath

some amazing video is out there.....and if you are in the going to be in the gulfport area...keep an eye out for these little black boxes.

Now to the part about a bounty:

Mike and I were going to go to Waveland last night to set up two of our instrument/video units but did not have time due to technical issues. We instead set up all three units in and around downtown Gulfport. All three units worked well internally and recorded what has to be extraordinary video and data. But here is the problem. I could not find the units. They are called StormCases and I will post a video of what they look like later. I am offering $500.00 for the return of these Storm Cases to me with the contents inside. I will be able to access the data and video- but need the units to do so. This could really help us to understand what exactly happened as Katrina made landfall. So, if you live in Gulfport or surrounding areas or will be heading there to assist in clean-up, I am offering you $500.00 for each Storm Case that you locate with the contents inside. These are black, water tight boxes that are virtually crush-proof. So they should be safe somewhere- but among all of the debris, as you will see in the video below, we could not find them. I placed one out on Urie Pier and strapped it to a light pole near the building that used to be there. I assume that this case is lost forever. However, the other two cases should be somewhere in Gulfport. The second case was strapped to a light pole on Hwy 49 about four blocks north of Hwy 90. It is likely in the pile of debris along that main street. This is the most important unit since it will have seen the surge coming up the highway. The third case was set up at the First Baptist Church along Hwy 90- facing the Gulf. The church is now almost completely gone- but the case might be among the rubble and will yield clues as to how fast the surge came in. If someone out there finds one, email me and I'll arrange to get it back. Once I verify the contents are good- I'll send the reward money. This could make for an incredible treasure hunt- as finding the cases will mean possibly finding some answers as to how it could have been so bad. Again, I will post a video clip of what the cases look like tomorrow morning. I will have more here on Katrina and the rest of the tropics tomorrow morning as well.

http://www.hurricanetrack.com/

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center