bobbutts
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 30 2005 09:21 AM
Re: Katrina Aftermath

Yeah this is getting ugly with the additional flooding. Looking at 1000's of houses and thinking about the individuals inside or even evactuated from each of them and the havoc this has wreaked. Going to take a long time to get this cleaned up and things won't be the same again. The amazing thing is that this in not nearly as bad as it could have been.. The water was forecast to be much deeper and widespread and would have been with a direct hit. If you look at the pictures too you can see very little wind damage. The images in my head that kept me up all night thinking about the worst case were cat 4-5 wind damage at the same time as 30' flooding (2 story houses totally underwater with people inside), superdome collapse,. A large % of buildings blowing apart, giant debris flying around. Basically 0 chance of survival for everyone who stayed.

This is terrible and sickening to watch, but I really believe this was not the worst case. They are going in and saving people from flooded houses now. If this had been the worst case nearly all of them would be dead. It doesn't do any service to claim it was the worst case. A direct hit would have and a future one still would be much worse. People should know that since it could be life or death next time around. I suspect a direct hit from a cat 1 through 3 which many people will now dismiss after going through "The Big One" would cause this level of physical damage or greater in the city with the difference being fewer evacuees and more death.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center