(Senior Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 30 2005 01:24 PM
Re: Katrina Aftermath

Quote:

Mark Sudduth's report for hurricanelive.net / hurricanetrack

http://www.hurricanelivenet.com/aftermath.wmv

The church that is in Mark's video is at
2120 14th Street, gulfport, ms

1) Mike is is your responsibility to make sure the person who made that video gets it out on all the networks.

2) I already contacted one of the mets, now this is a msg for everyone else on the board.

WE have to do something.

We are one of the few groups in the US who right now have the awful knowledge of what happened. Not too many people in the US right now have the knowledge that a huge wall of water, certainly higher than 40 feet along many locations, accompanied by hours of intense winds over 100mph, obliterated miles and miles of coastline, indunating it with water for 24 hours, Along the entire northern Gulf Coast, from Slidell, which almost certainly was leveled from wind, to all coastal communities along the MS Gulf Coast, including Waveland, Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian, Long Beach, Mississippi City, Gulfport, Biloxi, Ocean Springs, Gautier, Pascagoula, Moss Point, Bayou La Batre, Grand Bay, and Mobile AL.

The floodwaters have receeded, so no one will be able to understand and comprehend that this is what happened.

With our knowledge comes responsibility. The US media of ABC, CBS, and NBC, last night convinced the nation that the hurricane was an issue of a few feet of flooding in the French Quarter, some people on rooftops of a few flooded houses, and (the biggest news), part of the roof came off the superdome, and oh by the way, your gas is going to get even more expensive.

Now that the catastrophic conditions in NO are getting better known, and are getting worse due to additional levee breaks, the horrible news about the entire Gulf Coast is in danger of not getting out to the public in a timely way, especially the scope of this disaster, which is almost too much for us to wrap our minds around.

For everyone of you out there on the board, I want you to DO SOMETHING TODAY to mobilize whatever and whoever you have access to, and to use words like "Bangladesh-like flood" and "tsunami" to provide a perspective. If what you have is your church, then start there and get your church in touch with the head administrative staff in the country, and get something going to help those on the coast.

The second thing is to use whatever connections you have to get it in the media, in whatever way you can, even if it is your local media, but get the news out there to the media.

The worst possible thing that we could do now is just sit and chat among ourselves as this information comes in.

We can't afford to sit here after reading a post about how a reporter took a video of what was supposed to be an entire bay with many communities on either side of it, miles of trees and homes and businesses and shorefront (I'm talking about Bay St. Louis), and instead saw the exit off of I-10 tail off into a huge lake. I want you to go to mapquest and look at what was supposed to be there. Don't just sit there and type in a response message: wow. Knowledge is power and so go use your knowledge to get the news of this disaster out to everyone else in the US.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center