BTfromAZ
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 30 2005 05:21 PM
Re: Katrina Aftermath

Quote:

.How many Cars? How many Trucks? how many Suv's? how many things that use gas in these states.....LA.........MS...........ALA.......And any other state this cane hit are not able to move? 200,000? more less? then times that by how many gallons on Gas they use a day and are we not saving

To answer specifically your question, the affected part of the Gulf Coast clearly produces far more refined patroleum products (gasoline, diesel fuel, aviation fuel, heating oil) than it uses so the devastation we are seeing and discussing here is far and away a net loss in supply. The biggest problem is most likely the loss of refining capacity in the 8 refineries not currently operating. Since US refineries were already at maximum capacity, the loss of these refineries means a reduction in US gasoline supplies and that will be true even if, as discussed, the President makes available crude oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

That said, there has also been some criticism here about the media putting focus on the price of gas and other economic issues. While I am as aghast as you all about the loss of life, I think it is wrong to argue that the national media have misplaced their priorities in this. I think what we are seeing develop has the potential to completely change the nation's economic future for several years to come. Among other things that could mean a recession with many many people nationwide being affected. If we indeed have not only a high gasoline price but actual shortages of supply regardless of price, the economy will suffer a severe blow and I do think that's information worthy of discussion by both the media and anyplace the aftermath of this storm is being thoughtfully considered--including here.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center