abyrd
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 05:14 PM
Re: Levees

I hope it didn't sound like I was blaming the NHC. They do a great job. I remember early on, before Katrina hit Florida, the NHC referencing the GFDL model and saying they hope it didn't come true. It was that model that was forecasting a southwest turn and a large swing in the gulf.

My point was that city officials had a 72 hour model to evacuate. They shouldn't be chastized for not forcing evacuation at 72 hours because the official forcast was for the storm to not even come close at that time.

Rick, I have to agree with you. Due to the unpredictable nature of storms, governments should have plans to evacuate at 72, 48 & 24 hours and figure out how much it costs and get it done. But, look at Pompeii today. Seven million people live around the volcano that will blow again one day.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center