Big Red Machine
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Sep 01 2005 01:59 AM
Re: gas

Just read an interesting article here on airports possibly closing due to lack of fuel. http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=3343

I also disagree with the above posts in regards to the lack of fuel being caused by the "run" on gas. While the situation is certainly exacerbated by this, you cannot shut off the pipelines bringing gas to the southeast and NOT expect this to occur. While it would be nice to blame the gas shortages on the run by "panicked people," but these gas shortages are caused by... well... a shortage of gas. Prices are rising around the world. Even in Europe today wholesale gas prices rose $.10, and there's no "run" and their supply pipelines are not affected over there. It's only natural that things would be worse here in the southeast where we aren't getting the amount of new gas that we need.

Bam, I can make no comment on Tampa, but I have been around Lakeland this afternoon and the lines and prices are the case all over the city, and in fact all over Polk County. Perhaps you were through the area earlier in the day, as it is most certainly the case now. Things in Tampa/Hillsborough area are likely be better than they are here in Polk County, I don't doubt that at all. I only intended to correct the information about the city of Lakeland, as it is not the case in North Lakeland, or, from talking with friends in the Winter Haven area.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center