Ron Basso
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 09 2005 04:36 PM
Re: Hurricane Ophelia Sitting off East Central Florida Still Stationary

Quote:

What is that is going to make her go North after the loop. I tend to agree with some of you that the projections are too far north. Do they think the ridge that is causing her to loop will become weaker?

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, but again, I'm a novice at this.

Some of the models weaken the ridge on its west side. The latest 12Z GFDL does not weaken this ridge and keeps the cyclone on a westward heading after the loop (or change in direction) until landfall along the central Georgia coast. However, the GFDL run has the storm making 31.5 N in latitude by tomorrow night and then stalls and turns her toward the coast. If she doesn't make it that far north - and to me it looks less and less likely as time goes by, then a more southward landfall along the FL east coast may be in the works. The speed and direction of this storm the next 24 hrs will be real critical to where she makes landfall. I also think a landfall by Monday night is not out of the question with this storm.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center