tpratch
(Moderator)
Thu Sep 22 2005 03:21 AM
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf

I've read that the seawall is 17' tall and that parts of the island were raised up to as high as 19' above sea level. Imagine a 25' wall of water having huge chunks of concrete debris being shoved along through it...

Now imagine you're in a "safe" structure when that hits.

Not trying to be alarmist, more like the cold slap of reality. If anyone stays, it'll only be fun through the first 3 hours of tropical storm force winds. Then the fun starts going away. 2 hours into Hurricane force winds, you realize you're 8 hours too late to run if you wanted to. You try and keep your mood up, but that damn storm noise is just so loud, so intense, and so unrelenting.

When the sustained winds crest 100mph, you hear all kinds of unnatural sounds. When they crest 120 for even seconds at a time, your structure tells you that man is good, but nature is better. I'm going to cut myself short before I get really grizzly on the descriptions.

Let's hope Rita speeds back up - the slower she moves, the worse things are. Let's pray that absolutely everybody evacuates this time. Even one life lost is one too many.

/apologies for my darker side showing through - I started out answering a question, and diverged into trying to explain why you don't play with a storm this big.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center