BTfromAZ
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Sep 22 2005 01:42 AM
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf

I went through a typhoon in Okinawa in the 70's. I have no idea what "category" it was. I was in a supposedly "typhoon proof" structure--essentially a reinforced semi-tubular steel Quonset type building with 1/2" steel cables over it anchored in a concrete slab underneath. The building shook and rattled. At the height of the storm, a very heavy old window air-conditioner blew out of the window and came sailing 10 feet or so across the room, landing just short of my chest (I was lying on a medical exam table trying to sleep). We were well above sea level so there was no storm surge to worry about--just the wind. Anyway, it was all quite enough to convince me I would not want to "ride out" one of these storms in any conventional house.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center