BTfromAZ
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Sep 22 2005 05:50 AM
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf

Quote:

I've read that the seawall is 17' tall and that parts of the island were raised up to as high as 19' above sea level.

Yes, you are correct. Soon after I typed what I said above, I saw a report on MSNBC that clearly stated the Galveston sea wall is 19 ft high, however they were predicting a 19-20 ft storm surge at a time that Rita still had a pressure considerably higher than 900mb. Also, I believe the newer parts of Galveston--those that were populated in recent years with expensive vacation homes, are on lower ground (although most of the homes themselves are on pilings) and not protected by the sea wall. Therefore, my point I think remains--all of Galveston's protections could be overtopped by the storm surge of a Cat 4 storm leaving a Biloxi-type scene, not just "erosion" as someone said Jim Cantore was suggesting.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center