Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu Sep 22 2005 08:23 PM
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf

That image looks so different from the one I link to from the NHC TPC site. It looks much more symmetric, although you can see a very thin line of some slightly drier air outlining a spiral band that goes pretty far into the central circulation. OK then I think she'll get back up to a Cat 5 by late tonight / early morning, even though I haven't figured out exactly when she passes over that warmer eddy, and that small break in the outer eyewall. Temp diff has still remained decent and pressure has remained remarkably low, considering. I think for once I'll get to bed early and then up early to check the appearance after the satellite images come back online.

To lurkerhunter:

Thank you so much!

However that track on the image is old. She is at 26N and 89.9W...about to go right over the center of it.

OK this confirms in my mind, we see an increase in intensity tonight, even with dry air and shear.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center