danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 23 2005 02:51 AM
Re: Hurricane Rita Tracking West Northwest in the Gulf

Quote:

Exactly what is the possibility of this thing coming within 20-30 miles of Lafayette, Louisiana ?

If you live south of I-10 in the Lafayette area, and for that matter...
South of I-10 From Lafayette/ Baton Rouge to the Houston area. Please leave as soon as you can.
Acadiana Will be in the NE Quadrant of Rita.
Probability of 100 mph winds for 3 hours or more.
Depending on her forward speed.
Take your important papers with you. And throw the breakers to OFF at your power meter. If you don't feel comfortable doing that. Then turn eveything off at your inside breaker panel.

Andrew came close to flattening Acadiana in 1992. This storm will be at or above Andrew's windspeed at landfall...even without a direct hit.

The storm is forecast to stall, after moving inland.
The Atchafalaya River will certainly go to and possibly above flood stage.
Hindering rescue and recovery efforts.
Tidal surges near the coastline will wipe out roads and bridges (based on Katrina's damage).
Further hindering rescue and recovery efforts.
Not to mention Power Co. crews.

If you are in an area that has water standing after a thunderstorm moves through. I would seriously-Get Out.

I haven't heard how the Corpus Christi area is. For the TX viewers it might be an option.

WWL Radio 870 has excellant coverage...always does.
You don't have to go to the Interstates to evacuate. Take the State Highways and go North. You can get on the Interstates later.
Alexandria, Shreveport, Monroe..even Vidalia and possibly Natchez.
Don't try Mississippi...All of the rooms south of Jackson are taken. And rescue and recovery crews from the MS Gulf Coast are being evacuated temporarily to safer locations inland.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center