mempho
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Oct 19 2005 01:58 PM
Re: Wilma, Category 5 and Breaking Records

Hi everyone...I've been a long-time (3 year) lurker on the site and, first of all, the community is amazing and has quite a few bright minds.

I would like to add a question, however. It seems to me that, given the pressure and the eye diameter, that the windspeeds must far exceed 175 mph. For instance, Katrina had an eye that was many multiples larger than Wilmas, she had a higher central pressure, and yet, the max. sustained winds are the same. If I understand history correctly, intensely low pressures with small diameter eyewalls correlate to extremely high windspeeds such as those in Camille. Another storm that comes to mind is Tropical Cyclone Tracy that hit Darwin, Australia (which is thought to have been a strong 5). My thought is that the hurricane hunters were simply unable to find the core of the strongest winds in the storm due to the diffculty of taking measurements within an extremely small (and violent) eyewall.

Thoughts and opinions....could I be wrong here?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center