typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Thu Oct 20 2005 02:48 PM
Re: Wilma

Quote:

I'd like to echo what somebody said earlier regarding the threat to Mexico. While a Yucutan landfall and subsequent stall could decimate Wilma and spare Florida a lot of problems, that scenario would likely cause a signficantly larger loss of life that what would occur with even a very strong hurricane impacting Florida somewhere. I know many of you live in Florida and are rightly concerned about your friends and family and I'm not being critical of anyone focusing too much on Florida, but parts of Mexico are facing a potentially major disaster here.

For what it's worth.... I would not be surprised if we see a concerted N component to Wilma's motion by nightfall - if that acceleration has not already begun..

The intermediate advisory by HPC has a northwest movement, which is about 10 or degree change from the 11am advisory: "WILMA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 5 MPH ...7 KM/HR." Moreover, when observing the various sat we see a tendency for the cirrus veil to be pulled more concertedly N and NE throughout the lower Gulf of Mexico then previous time intervals... Also, the northern aspect of the denser inner cirrus canopy is also beginning to oblong in N direction...

This is significat for me because the wv imagery shows a fairly strong wind maxim coming out of TX into the lower Mississippi Valley in association with fairly potent vort max moving through just to the N. I'm actually wondering if the 12z guidance is underdone with this feature, which might make them in error in the amount of left motion in the nearer term...
Anyway, for what it's worth...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center