Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Oct 21 2005 08:06 AM
Re: not confident

Talking about evacuation and Florida traffic.
As a long time (lifelong) resident, I've of course seen phenominal growth in Florida. When I ocassionally express to newcomers that the paradise they see today is a horror to me, they look at me as if I'm out of my mind. Florida is no longer the paradise it once was.
As a result of the enormous population growth that continues to take place in Florida, our roads or "lack" of them continues to be one of our biggest problems. As stated in a previous post, on a good day, normal commutes now take an hour when 10 years ago they took 20 minutes.
Multiply that by the fact that there are only a handfull of N/S and E/W roads on which to dump out evacuation traffic and you have a logistical nighmare on your hands. This is why so many choose to simply stay home and ride it out.

With all that said, I would still choose to leave than stay if I lived along the coast in direct path of Hurricane Wilma. I would hope that the lessons learned from Katrina would not be wasted on the citizens of the Florida coast. Please listen to the advise of your local governmental authorities and prepare.
If nothing else, Wilma has given us more than ample time to be prepared for her pass over our state.

The fact that you have come to this board and are taking the time to read other peoples posts and opinions means that you are far ahead of most of the population that simply depends on the "news media" to give them their hurricane news. I could and sometimes do turn off the media in favor of sites such as this.
Believe me, we are as up to date and informed as any of the talking heads on your Television set.

Stay safe everyone and be prepared. Once Wilma is past, I hope we can put this season to bed but now is not the time to let your guard down anywhere along the Florida Penninsula from Cedar Key to the Keys.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center