Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Sat Oct 22 2005 04:15 PM
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion

I think the "cone of error" is there for a reason...because there could be (and usually are) errors on the exact point of landfall. If you are in the "cone", you should be prepared whether people laugh at you or not. This has been reiterated again and again and again by the NHC, the NWS, etc. It may do exactly what they are projecting it to do and it may wobble north or south of where they think the most likely point of landfall will be. A rule of thumb that I live by is that until it passes your lat/lon, you are not out of the woods by any means and should be prepared. Unfortunately, Charley was the best example of this last year when he made his sharp right hand turn into Punta Gorda at the last minute and some people were shocked. There are so many different variable with a storm that you don't really know what's going to happen until it actually does happen.

Since I have recently been accused by a member (whose identity I will not disclose out of respect to him/her) by a PM of wish-casting this storm (and apparantly every other storm for the last year) to come to Tampa, I wanted to clear something up: if people have thought that by my saying I thought it would come in further north that I was wishcasting it to Tampa, that is not what I intended. What was intended in my posts what that this storm could still come further north than Naples -- most likely Ft. Myers if that WAS to happen. I certainly hope this clarifies this issue for anyone who read my posts and thought I was wishcasting a storm anywhere.

Now...onto the weather we can expect on Monday/Tuesday (whenever it finally decides to arrive), the cold front that is supposed to push Wilma southward will collide with Wilma and that will cause some ugly weather to rear it's ugly head. So just stay alert and tuned in and watch for any conditions that are threatening to you or your family.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center