Joshua
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Oct 23 2005 10:49 AM
Re: Eye Wall Question

Quote:

When an intense hurricane partially makes land like Wilma did, and the inner eye wall loses some of its momentum and becomes obscured, do they generally undergo an eye wall replacement cycle when they get back over water. Anotherwords, do outer bands eventually become the next inner eye wall, or does the original inner eye wall typically just redevelop (given enough time back over warm water)?

I've been curious about this since Wima left the tip of the Yucutan, and I was hoping one of the experts might help shed some light on it (hopefully this is the right forum for this question). Thanks.

Also, you may have already seen this link, but I just stumbled onto it. You can animate all the Channels of the GOES-12 at the same time. Pretty interesting.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/realtime/grtmain.html

I don't think Wilma is currently undergoing an ERC right now, as it just finished the one earlier this morning from when it was over land. RIght now, it seems as if she is trying to recover from land. This may or may not happen before landfall in Florida.

1. She has picked up some speed this morning (from 2 MPH to 8 MPH, may even go up at 11AM)
2. She is currently over the loop current, but depending on the vertical sheer at the present, she may or may not pick up any strength from that. At the very least, she will remain a Cat 2 for the present time.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center