typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Mon Oct 24 2005 12:25 AM
Re: Shear

Quote:

not sure about this warning text.... understand the warning but....

TORNADOES ASSOCIATED WITH TROPICAL CYCLONES ARE OFTEN WRAPPED IN
HEAVY RAIN AND ARE HARD TO SEE OR HEAR UNTIL THEY ARE VERY CLOSE. DO
NOT GET CAUGHT OFFGUARD!
TORNADOES AT NIGHT ARE DIFFICULT TO SEE. WATCH FOR THE POPPING OF
ELECTRIC LINES AND TRANSFORMERS OR LISTEN FOR THE SOUND OF LOUD
RUMBLING AS THAT OF AN APPROACHING FREIGHT TRAIN.

THIS STORM HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING TORNADOES.

BEST ADVICE.... don't wait to hear or "see" it.... if its in your area take cover in a interior room or closet away from windows... DON'T look/WATCH for "POPPING OF ELECTRIC LINES"...especially at night.... MOST likely you will not see it!!!!

Actually, having grown up in the Midwest before moving to eastern Massachusetts I can vouch for this.. This is standard for nighttime alert statements and actually makes a good deal of sense. In 1980, an F3 twister tore through downtown Kalamazoo, Mi, and I stood there frozen in awe watching from about a mile away before large hail brought me to run home... You know how when you have a bad dream and you can't run fast... It was that incarnate... Anyway, in the distance you could hear a) a low pitched hum/rumble and b) the sound of various debris popping and snapping... If it's not daylight and you cannot see these things taking place, you have to trust your ears that if that sound is unusual and kind of like...scary sounding? It is, and TAKE COVER.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center