typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Sun Oct 23 2005 09:16 PM
Re: Shear

Hmmm, I believe tropical system usually spin off weaker tornadoes (F1 - F2). Would this low hum/rumble sound be as easy to hear as it was with the F3?

I used to chase tornadoes when I lived further north.

Been near several, and through two (one of which had not touched down yet - it went right over the top of me.)

You will hear it, unless you're in the middle of the hurricane and the entire house sounds like its going to come apart already, in which case loud is just loud (e.g. during Ivan last year, I doubt I would have heard a tornado before it got me, simply due to the lack of time to react from the time the sound was distinct from the hurricane's general noisefield to when the vortex got me.)

But in this case, where you're expecting tropical storm sustained winds, yes, you will hear it - provided it doesn't drop down right on top of you (which they can!)

Ivan last year kicked off a bunch of smaller tornadoes around here and an F3 that ripped through Marianna. The destruction path on the latter one was unreal; a friend of mine's home took a tree-spear through the roof; the next lot over was wiped completely clean - the house formerly there was cleanly removed from the foundation with the pieces distributed over a wide area.

Please don't take the threat of tornadoes lightly, and if you wake up in the middle of the night hearing something loud and odd......

TAKE COVER!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center