Thunderbird12
(Meteorologist)
Sun Oct 23 2005 10:41 PM
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level!

Quote:

OMG you guys! I am really starting to freak out here in Lakeland! I was here last year for all three hurricanes and was never this scared! What is really alarming is that the very people who normally seem (IMHO as a previously quiet lurker) like the voices of reason seem EXTREMELY concerned with what appears to be developing.

I have taken every recommended precaution, and have the whole family in the safest room with mattresses, but am still hesitant about freaking the kids out - they just got settled for the night, and I'd love for them to be able to sleep through the worst of things (I know I sure won't!). But I am seriously considering telling them what's going on, after what Danielw said. Polk county seems to be a hot spot right now, and I have a feeling this may be unlike any storm - of any kind - that I've ever experienced.

Thanks for all the crucial support you guys are providing! I don't have cable, and the info I am receiving here is invaluable. Best of luck to everyone and please stay safe!

Conditions should not be too bad with the hurricane itself (probably not anything worse than tropical storm conditions) where you are... the main threat is probably tonight with isolated tornadoes around in the outer bands. Just make sure to stay abreast of any tornado warnings on your local media. It also wouldn't hurt to have a battery-operated radio in case power goes out. Keep in mind that tornadoes are inherently rare phenomena and generally affect only a small area, so try not to worry too much.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center