typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Mon Oct 24 2005 05:13 PM
Re: New warning?

Quote:

So... 40 ft seas forecast S and E of Nantucket, 1-5" of rain in E Mass, and 7"+ of snow forecast only 100 miles northwest of there. What a monsta!! Not a great day to go fishin'. It's almost leaf-raking time, but I'm not much into tree-raking. BTW, the mets here are predicting a "gravity wave" tomorow morning to enhance the rain along the south coast in association with all the transferred energy from Wilma (I think)... anyone care to educate me on what that is?
Also,
Quote:

This is bad news for the east coast.....for the northeast they are already calling this the "superstorm" of 2005 which is supposed to hit the whole northeast tommorrow.

Well, not to be too cynical, but this year we've already had two or three "superstorm of 2005"s...even here with no tropical systems... rough weather seems to be fairly common around here these days...but yeah, be careful everyone.

I know your post is to someone else originally but this usage of the term "Superstorm", it's like using "love" to liberally if you ask me: It gets warn out and demeaning with abuse. I think they should really reserve such powerful terminology until such times as the actual impact can be defined as being a ...certain level above merely being a big storm.

To me, "1978 Cleveland Bomb", "The Blizzard of 1978", or "Superstorm 1993", these are all vastly more appropriate for that term because they carried statistical results that far surpass anything before or since... Maybe there needs to be an official declaration of parameters for the usage of that term because Superstorm has a way of fostering unnecessary panic; and quite frankly, I'm sensing it is used to garner viewer-ship in a era controled by the corporate media meets natural disaster popularity.

What should take place along the NE U.S. Coastline tomorrow will likely be ferocious, no doubt! But comparable to other major events in the passed - unlikely.

Oh, and I apologies if it sounds like the tone of my posts are wavering...They're really not. We can have a stemwinder storm up here tomorrow and it doesn't have to be a "Super" this or that - that's my point. Which, for the record, also is NOT intended to presuppose the the possibility that it could actually end up a Superstorm, but if it did, we'd really know about it!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center