typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Mon Oct 24 2005 11:17 PM
Re: New warning?

Quote:

Typhoon - I have a Grandad in Connecticut, Hartford area to be exact. They got lashed with a bunch of rain from that low that parked itself off the Jersey/Long Island coast a week ago or more. That alone drenched the whole area and they had some serious flooding, including a river right near his house. I saw a map with a low pressure area off the coast again, except a little closer to the CT coast. What impact, if any, will Wilma or the former Wilma have on his area? I am a bit worried about him. Thanks and thanks for the good information you provided before, during and after Wilma.

Hi...Flooding is a very real concern and will be the main headline affect from this particular event. If he lives in a prone area he needs to be alert and pay attention to the local hydrology statements from the National Weather Service. Currently, a flood watch is in effect for most of the state of CT, save the immediate shore communities. The affects of early snows and strong winds on the coastal plain probably won't be as impactive to him locally, but the flood concern is quite large after the anomalous event earlier this month.
The following NWS office has very good, updated immediately when conditions warranted hydrological information:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/
Find any number of valuable flood information links on the left hand side.
...Needless to say, flood guidance is quite low right now and should this event max out, many areas that experienced flooding in the middle part of this month will likely experience renewed concerns. One cannot speculate on one creek or main stem river will overflow its banks, but, the CT River does tend to claim near bank realistate at the drop of a hat in these situations... You'll just have to study the information on the URL I provided you. In Flash Floods, the one's that survive have an escape plan that includes higher ground already laid out.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center