typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Tue Oct 25 2005 09:23 PM
Re: latest TWO

"12-going-on-20 hey-I-can-do-the-job-Dad look." ....That's funny!
Yeah....a lot of nepatism in the govermental ranks these days....(not to mention money - something we could all be terrified about...) But, I've been told not to go over political lines on this ...I didn't see the broadcast anyway so I'll take your word for it..

Since Katrina, Rita, Wilma and whoever I'm forgetting all have something to do with this though, I will say that "the government", in general, took a lot of heat from people among their own municipalties (like, NWS and NHC and the myriad of local study groups that have been warning of doom for 40 years!) , as well as from the private sector from folks like us, because of this unheeded warning theory. Frankly, I think the hush-hush no-tell truth is that much of that falls on the locals, but that just flies in the face of those who need to scape-goat to outsource the ignomony of their own negligences. For this calamity and other such horrors are in reality because a) it is a hypocrasy to blame the goverment when we live in a cultur that tends to want limited government in private affairs; and b) the truth is, there is no state of preparedness for some storms because their just uniquely qualified to denude manmade artifices from existence.

It's all messy in the blame game and probably....not really worth it.

The bottom line is....we've got huge population districts parked up against a 90F proving ground for tropical tempests, all around the deep south... In fact, the Del Marva isn't even off the hook for that matter, nor is Bar Harbor in Maine! But, this great nation has allowed these areas to thrive too long without adequate protection and now we pay the price - and I think we need to do so in unity among all ranks because it is as much an issue on top as it is in the private sector.

But...I know you didn't ask for my opinion in the matter... I just wanted to say so because we are in such a climate studied favored era for huge storm frequencies, one that looks like it will recur for a number of years to come, so...we'd better get our priorities straight as a culture and stop bickering - ay?

Anyway, watching the Caribbean!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center