Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Tue Oct 25 2005 10:43 PM
Picking up pieces

Just for a random heads up, a friend of mine just checked in briefly from coral springs. It seems the area looks pretty bad over there. her description of her neighborhoods was 'it looks like a bomb went off.' I don't know if she was in the hardest hit area, but the word they heard was 4 weeks to get back power. She also said the cooler weather was a wonderful blessing, because it's keeping them from roasting at least. She's also not sure how long it will take for businesses to reopen simply because so many of them have taken storm damage and are under curfew as well. She was only able to check in briefly, as she was on a cell phone and trying to conserve the phone for emergencies.

<minor rant>
I really wish the news media would stop with the 'ooh, look the first reports in are of minor damage', and realize that the hardest hit areas will take days to check in. You would have thought they would have learned a hard lesson from Katrina, but I suppose not.
</minor rant>

Anyway, the good news is she's safe and in one piece, but it's still a very rough situation over there, certainly not a Katrina class event, but it's also not something that can be trivalized or ignored.

Anyway, hopefully other people are safe and sound. And if there is anything we can do to help, with whatever deep pockets we have, lets do it.

-Mark

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center