Brad in Miami
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Nov 17 2005 07:43 PM
Recon & Wilma

I'm interested to see if NHC classifies this now. It appears that recon has found a circulation center just off the coast of Nicaragua, which corresponds well to the appearance on visible satellite imagery. However, that center is somewhat removed from most of the convection. The westerly winds, at least from the reports I've seen, are fairly light but not insignificant. Here are recon reports 7-10:

7: 11.9/82.3 - wind 210 degrees, 19 kt at flight level; estimated sea level pressure 1007 mb
8: 12.9/83.1 - wind 190 degrees, 14 kt at flight level; estimated sea level pressure 1003 mb
9: 14.2/82.5 - wind 130 degrees, 24 kt at flight level; estimated sea level pressure 1005 mb
10: 15.1/82.6 - wind 100 degrees, 26 kt at flight level; estimated sea level pressure 1006 mb

And although this comment is very late, I toured a large part of southeast Florida - from Homestead to Boca - after Wilma, and my visual impression is that we got high-end cat 1 winds, with the possibility of low-end cat 2 in a few places. Yes, the hurricane was a cat 3, but I just don't see the evidence of winds higher than high-end cat 1/low-end cat 2. Tons of tree damage (e.g., I lost most of my landscaping); some structural damage, although mostly minor (e.g., shingles and an occasional window or roof whose damage was not caused by a falling tree or other flying object); lots of signs down. But lots of signs and trees still standing, and most houses with little or no structural damage.

As with most people, the worst thing for me was the lack of power: 2 weeks because of a snapped pole on my street. (A ficus tree fell into the pole and snapped it; the wind didn't snap it without help from the tree.)

Fingers crossed that the disturbance down there does not develop. I'm ready for this season to be over.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center