Psyber
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Nov 21 2005 04:36 PM
Re: Tropical Storm Gamma Forms Near Honduras

Quote:

They would start with Alpha once again, as far as anyone knows. The possibility of another season next year quite like this season's is pretty remote, however.

I dunno clark, to quantify that I think you have to look at what is causing the last couple years to be mega-years...global warming. Whether the warming trend is caused by greenhouse gasses or by being on the upturn of the 10,000 year global warm is up to the scientists(I agree with the former as well as the latter)

There is no sign that next year is going to be any cooler and if it follows the trend, the waters are going to be even warmer next year.

My personal thinking is that we not only reached the bar(alphabet), we raised it to a point where you need to have a more credible indexing system of tracking storms. Alpha/Beta/Gamma aren't going to cut it anymore and were only there before because it seemed ludicrous that we were going to need to use them very often.

Perhaps dual named storms are needed to denote how seriously crazy a season was? Alphonse Anderson, Bernadette Beckie etc... Perhaps name them something in the order of A05-2, B05-2. Or even name them Alpha-05, Beta-05...all I know is that it's only a matter of time before a Cat-4/5 Greek alphabeted storm is going to truck ashore. Lets pray it's not next year...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center