cieldumort
(Moderator)
Fri Jun 01 2007 06:55 PM
Re: Day 1. Tropical Storm Barry Forms in Gulf of Mexico

92L being verified as a Tropical Storm is not terribly surprising to me, although admittedly still a bit of a "Wow, on June 1, no less!" moment. Color-enhanced satellite loops as early as last night were strongly suggesting that a tight and at least somewhat warm-cored coc had already formed. Will make for an interesting read when HRD gets around to it.

Would like to point out an earlier ship report that lends a strong voice, when taken with the most recent recon data, for another upgrade tonight.

SHIP 1800UTC 23.70 -85.10 Due East 49.9 knots 29.68" Rapid falling
(National Data Buoy Center)

Barry reminds me of Alberto, and more than a little bit. With him attempting to form a tenuous eyewall, just about all afternoon, I think he stands a pretty good shot of developing a small, but noteworthy core of very strong TS/perhaps marginal Cat 1 winds. Of course, Alberto wasn't exactly known for his ferocious winds, but he also worked on trying to put together a respectable eyewall just before landfall, and there is reason to believe that a small core of 70MPH surface wind really did exist.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center